Wednesday, September 07, 2005

telluride update 1

I just wrote my mom:

phew! i'm back from telluride, and it's good to be home, bumping around with my child and husband again. and getting some sleep!

The film fest was great -- I saw two films I really liked and met a zillion people. You know how they talk about surveys where people are randomly selected or they select themselves? I felt like everyone there was self-selected. There was a distinct bias toward people who see themselves as people who go to film festivals.

and all the intrigue completely went away, which was great. we just got down to business and watched six films in two days....

Here are my top two Telluride 2005 geeky celebrity moments:
1) William H. Macy saying into a cell phone as he walked up the sidewalk next to the town park, where I was parking my bike, "Yes, Mr. [Jones], three forty-eight. Yeah."

2) As I was riding to the gondola entrance to go up the mountain to the Chuck Jones Theatre, I saw the guy who plays Amy's younger brother Vincent on Judging Amy. Now, ever since [my dad] told me about that show I've loved it. It makes me laugh and cry -- and there aren't many TV shows that grab me. And this guy plays a writer who tries hard not to fuck up and doesn't always succeed. He does it really well. So I wheeled my bike back over to him and said, "I'll just do the fan thing once at Telluride, if you don't mind. I just want to say that I enjoy your show, and think the writing is good and the acting is good. I like your character and you play him well. Thanks!"

"Well, thank you very much. It's nice to be appreciated," he said graciously as he gave a little wave and continued his lanky stroll down the street. And I was only embarrassed because I had no idea what his name is!

xoxo
me"

***
Now, however, having done my research, I'm really wishing I'd seen the one film I could not get into: Capote. Lo and behold, the gracious Dan (also credited as Danny Boy) Futterman, whom I had known of as only an actor, wrote the screenplay for the new film Capote and Danny Boy even has an executive producer credit near the top of the list for that film. Now I know why I ran into Dan Futterman at Telluride. Coming to theatres later this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home