Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Movin' to montana soon, gonna be a video tycoon

So I am walking out on this new limb. I've decided to start making films. I don't know how to do it yet, but I'm going to try it out. I'm already a good editor, fascinated by storytelling and the art of communication. As I reach out with ideas, I keep getting yeses in return. I'm making connections and reaching out to help. In doing so I find I have a place in this town, this work, this world, even though it feels like I just landed here. And I feel like I'm in the right place at the right time, like the whole marketplace is expanding right now in a huge way.

Seriously, I started subscribing to Netflix (sorry, Video Station!) a few months ago and see it and iTunes as these incredible expansions in our worlds. If I decide to watch all the music documentaries I can get my hands on, I am incredibly fortunate now because I can see many of them on Netflix and request that they get ones they don't already have (and if enough of us ask for the films we love, they'll buy them). I can also buy things online with ease, like most recently the Italian release of the nearly five-hour director's cut of Until the End of the World by Wim Wenders, with a few taps and a click of a button. (And there's more: I was delighted to find information on the internet about "hacking" my dvd player so it would play a region 2 dvd. Someone programmed a little back door that has you use the numeric keypad on your remote to enter the digits of Pi. Somewhere during that sequence the film unlocks and I can watch it on my own Zenith combo DVD/VCR. If I wanted to I could unlock DVDs and copy them to VHS. But who has the time or inclination? Not I, certainly. I'm just happy I didn't go to Target or the new DVD dealer in town (The Video Detective, on 30th and Baseline) and buy a whole new player just to watch one film. Although maybe I'll go to the Video Detective and buy his Almost Famous DVD from Japan, which has the director's cut.... but again I've digressed.)

So I want to make films about music and culture and me and my friends and finding your tribes in the world.

Wheeeeeee! Here we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home