Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thank you, but I already believe

We were visited by two nice middle-aged women today who explained that they had a little booklet explaining what is in the Bible. Well, I'm rather mistrustful of a) people who want to tell me what they think is in the Bible (because I have read some of it myself and know that it says lots of different and contradictory things) and b) people who fail to read and respect my no shoes no soliciting no religion no politics sign and ring my doorbell anyway.

So I gave them my new stock response when I get religious visitors on my doorstep, which is: "Thanks, but I already believe."

I love this response. It's honest and contains no criticism of their beliefs. If I feel like amplifying my statement, I can truthfully say as I did today, "I have my own beliefs." The nice ladies told me their names, excited that they had found a believer, and I used their names in the next minute to thank them and tell them to have a nice day, sending them on their way.

I explained to my daughter that it's not that I don't want to talk about my beliefs in "God" or the ideas of Jesus or what is in the Bible. I just don't want people to tell me what they want me to think, when I have spent my whole life arriving at my own ideas and beliefs. I believe what I believe for a reason, and I don't really want to mix that up with what two ladies who don't know me and don't know my history want me to think -- basically whatever has led them in their lives to their own beliefs.

But I'm so happy I have that response in my quiver now. It works like a charm. Try it the next time they visit your doorstep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home